Saturday, November 7, 2015

BAPTISM & HOT POT

Oh my days this week has been crazy. We were busy all week this week trying to get everything prepared for tan's baptism that was on Friday. Also, tomorrow we are getting another sister! So I will only be companions with Sister Chou for the rest of the transfer. 
image2.jpeg
Elder and Sister Stevens

OCT 19TH After emailing, we ate crepes, did our grocery shopping, did some finding, & went to sleep early. 

OCT 20TH Today we walked a lot. We went to visit an older member, but we took the wrong bus & had to walk from my the end of that route all the way to her home. When we got there, she didn't answer when we knocked on either of her doors, but we could hear and see her inside. Finally, Sister Chou yelled at her through the window & she let us in. She gave us homemade apple pie. Also, she has a son who is a bodybuilder & has a million pictures of him on her walls wearing nearly nothing. But she also has one of his trophies, so I took a picture with it. 
After seeing her, we went to visit a less active & oh my days. This family is crazy. The mother and father are both converts, and the two girls are not baptised. When we walked in, the mother was smoking & then the two girls (15 & 16) lit their own cigarettes. They all just chilled in the living room smoking with us there. We weren't even able to teach them a lesson because they were all besting each other up the whole lesson. Plus, the mother is very blunt & told me she doesn't like Americans at all & nicknamed me 'picky' because I told her I don't like seafood. Anyways, she hated on Americans & me for 20 minutes. When we finally left their house (because the daughters wouldn't let us leave), the younger one was waiting at the bus stop with us & almost started three different fights with random pedestrians. We probably looked like a mob because there were so many of us & the girl was just yelling at everyone. We also had a ward trunk or treat party!

OCT 21ST Today was just a normal day. We went university finding and found a ton of potential investigators. We just stood in one place & stopped every Chinese person we saw. We just asked them how to say "can we be friends?" in Chinese & then they let us be their friends. Later in the evening, our mission president & his wife came to our ward so sister Stevens could share her experiences as a general authority with the relief society.

image3.jpeg
Awkward District Family Photo
OCT 22ND We started our day by going to district meeting & I had to give a training. Still praying that some day I will be able to communicate properly in front of a group of more than 3 people. But hey! It wasn't as scary as my first one, so I'm getting better hahahah. After that, we practiced the musical number we will be singing at the baptism. Then we had to run a million errands so we could figure things out for the baptism. After, we taught a lesson to tan with the horigans (members) & they fed us soup. Then we went to do family home evening with a new family in the ward & they fed us weird African spicy ocra slime soup with mashed rice. It was interesting. Then we went to the chapel for correlation with the elders. 

OCT 23RD YAYAYAYAYYA TAN'S BAPTISM!!!! We started the morning by visiting an elderly member named macey. She broke my heart when I hugged her because she started crying & asked me to pray she can get her hearing & eyesight back. Then I started crying. After all that, we ran to a million different Chinese shops to by food for hot pot at the baptism (hot pot is when Chinese people boil water, put spices in it, then put meat, veggies, & noodles in it for a few minutes, then eat it). After, the elders picked us up to take us to the chapel. We chopped all the veggies & filled up the font. Then we had Tan's baptism! The spirit was so strong. I'm so blessed to have been a part of his journey. He is such a great example to me & has strengthened my testimony more than I thought possible. He brought his girlfriend & friend, who were both really interested, so we will start teaching them this week. After the baptismal service, we ate hot pot with the ward! 
OCT 24TH Today we had weekly planning, which was intense because #triolife & companion inventory don't mix well. Then we had lunch & went to the library to do our progress record. After, we took a 40 minute bus ride to an island to see two less actives. Neither one of them were home though, so we walked to the coast. It was so cold & raining so hard, but we got to go to the beach so it's okay! After, we visited a member with 7 cats. 

OCT 25TH This was my first time at church in Colchester! It was exciting meeting all the ward members. In the morning, a potential investigator named Sabrina texted us to see how she can come to church. It was such a miracle because we hadn't followed up with her (I know... We are terrible hahah) to come to church! So she came & we set up another appointment with her :) then we taught the young women class & it went really well, & made me miss young womens. After church we went to visit the less active that hates Americans. She said a lot of other rude things to me & can't stand me just because I asked her how long she has been a member for. Anyways, she's a child of God & is probably a very lovely lady if you aren't American hahahah


image1.jpeg

Sister Sydney Johannes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog